When visiting a preschool look for:
* Do the children appear to be happy?
* Are the teachers talking with the children? Is the tone of the conversation polite & respectful?
* Are there enough toys for the children? Are they in good repair? Are there enough books?
* What is the daily schedule?
* Do the children have access to various activites throughout the day?
Look for building blocks/construction toys, pretend play toys, books, paints & other arts materials,
table toys (puzzles, pegs, matching games, etc..)
* Is the classroom clean and well maintained?
* Do the children spend most of their time playing and working with materials or other children?
* Are the children expected to sit for long periods of time?
* Do childen learn numbers and the alphabet in the context of their everyday experiences?
* Do the children have to opportunity to play outside or have a large motor time everyday?
* Are the classrooms decorated with the children's original artwork? Does the artwork look the
same? Children should be allowed to be creative with their artwork.
* How do the teachers deal with discipline?
* How does the preschool ensure safety? How does drop off and pick up work?
* Is the preschool licensed by the state?